Take a common type of movie bad guy — a seven-letter word starting with M. If you change the third letter of this word, you’ll get a different kind of cinematic bad guy. What are these two words?
Archive for the ‘Wordplay’ Category
Take a bird with seven letters in its name. If you drop the first letter, and change the last letter, you’ll make the name of a different bird. What are these two birds?
What word, which sounds like it means “cold,” is a food that is often served hot?
I prefer CLUE to MONOPOLY.
I’d rather wear a CROWN than a TIARA.
When it comes to foreign languages, I’d rather learn GREEK than LATIN.
I would sooner name my dog REX than FIDO.
I prefer to WRITE, not TYPE.
Which is my favorite kind of music: ROCK, PUNK, POP, or COUNTRY?
Well, I can still use my Oscar puzzle, can’t I? Sure.
Take the word OSCAR. Put a letter at the front; put a letter at the back; and put a letter somewhere in the middle. What common word can you make?
Each of the sentences below contains the last name of a former United States president. Can you find them all?
1. Evel Knievel once jumped fifteen buses in his stunt car. Terrific!
2. Before you have a tantrum and start yelling, think if that’s the best way to get what you want.
3. On the map, is Idaho over Utah or is Utah over Idaho?
4. I swear, Thursdays are the longest days. I want it to be Friday!
5. If you work in the chem lab, don’t be surprised to find toxic lint on your sweater.
6. That orchard in Germany produces sour grapes.
7. You are a gang of thieves? Then I better run away.
1. Which of the United States contains the word WHAM?
2. What talk show host’s name contains the word IDLE?
3. What brand of food contains the word AGENDA?
AUDI BUICK CADILLAC JEEP MAZDA PONTIAC PORSCHE SAAB SUBARU TOYOTA
- Which car name becomes a new word when you change the first letter to Q?
- Which car name can be broken up into a pair of opposites when the middle letter is turned into a space?
- Which car name can have its letters scrambled to a new word meaning “the text accompanying a picture?”
- Which car name can have its letters scrambled to make a new word meaning “enclosed areas generally attached to houses?”
- Which car name contains an herb somewhere within it?
- Which car name has another vehicle spelled backwards within it?
- Which car name is the front half of a word meaning “witnesses to an event?”
- Which car name makes an animal sound when you drop the first letter and spell the rest backward?
- Which car name punnily completes this sentence: “Don’t worry, it’s not very expensive. In fact, it’s really quite ____.”
- Which car name would be a palindrome — reading the same backwards and forwards — if it had one more letter in front?
1. What article of clothing can you make by scrambling the word THIRST?
2. What word can you make by placing the word TIE somewhere within the word PANTS?
3. How many things that you wear on your feet can you name that begin with the letter S?
4. Which two words below form a new word when placed next to each other?
SHOE VEST HAT SUIT BRA SCARF COAT